Physical Education / Sport

The GCSE PE is delivered over 3 years and covers a range of activities.

There are two papers sat at the end of Year 11. This makes up 60% of the course. The other 40% is practical assessment of three activities and a piece of written coursework.

The following content is covered.

                                

1. Applied anatomy and physiology

2. Movement analysis

3. Physical training

4. Use of data                         

5. Sports psychology

6. Socio-cultural influences

7. Health, fitness and wellbeing

                                

Students are also assessed on their practical performance in three activities. This can be two team and one individual or one individual and two team activities. Students need to be taking part in Physical Activity outside of school.

A rough year plan is as follows. This is subject to change to meet the demands of the cohort.

For further information please use the following link

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/pe/specifications/AQA-8582-SP-2016.PDF

YEAR 9

YEAR 10

YEAR 11

Theory

Practical

Theory

Practical

Classification of skills

Coursework/ Practical Marks and Video evidence

Health and Fitness

Handball

SKELETAL SYSTEM

Swimming

Goal Setting

Components of fitness

MUSCULAR SYSTEM

Information Processing

Reasons for fitness testing

MOVEMENT ANALYSIS

Guidance

Fitness testing

Term 2 (11 Weeks - 22 lessons)

Feedback

Limitations of fitness testing

CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM

Trampolining

Arousal

Types of training

Swimming

RESPIRATORY SYSTEM

Aggression

Principles of training

AEROBIC/ ANAEROBIC EXERCISE AND EFFECTS

Personality

Safety/ warm-up and cool down

Term 3 (13 Weeks - 26 lessons)

Motivation

Altitude training

Handball

Athletics

Term 2 (11 Weeks - 33 lessons)

Training seasons

Participation

Term 2 (11 Weeks - 22 lessons)

Participation by women

Health and Fitness

Netball/ Trampolining

Participation by ethnicity

Somatotypes

Other factors

Sedentary Lifestyle

Disability Participation

Obesity

Barriers to participation

Diet

Commercialisation and sponsorship

Term 3 (13 Weeks - 26 lessons)

Sport and the media

Coursework

Athletics

Influences of commercialisation

Influences on the media

Term 3 (5 Weeks - 15 lessons)

Players Conduct

Prohibited Substances

Spectators Behaviour

Hooliganism

REVISION

Cambridge Nationals Level 1/2 Sport Science

The Cambridge Nationals Level 1/2 Sport Science course consists of four different units delivered over three years and is the equivalent of one GCSE. The units that students will complete are Reducing the risk of sports injuries, Applying principles of Training, and the other two units are decided between the teacher and the students as they progress through the course. There are practical elements to this course however students are not assessed on their practical performance.

Students will need to have an interest in sport and physical activity. Students completing this course often go on to study level 3 BTEC Sport at sixth form or college. With many also going on to study university degrees with sport and science related backgrounds.The Cambridge Nationals Level 1/2 is a excellent option for students who have an interest in sport and provides a broad range of study that allows learners to gain knowledge and experience in many areas including: media, First Aid, physiotherapy, nutrition, coaching, teaching, and health services.

The following link outlines the course specification and the details of each unit covered on the qualification.

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/82412-specification.pdf 

Extra curricular Clubs and Teams

We also offer a wide range of extra curricular opportunities for students.

Football

Swimming

Dance

5 Aside Football

Netball

Basketball

Handball

Athletics

Trampolining

Badminton

Morning Swimming

Futsal

Rugby

Cross Country

Cricket

Table Tennis

Girls Football

Gymnastics

Facilities

  • A 4 Badminton court Sportshall
  • A 3 lane 20m Swimming Pool
  • A Full Size 3G pitch
  • A gym/ Dance studio with mirrored wall
  • Playing fields

Opportunities

Rewards TripWimbledonNational Futsal
Football at Manchester UnitedSkiing TripBasketball Play offs
Rugby Super League—Magic WeekendAlternative Curriculum weekPrimary Gym and Dance Tour
Gym and Dance ShowSports DayTrip to Newcastle Falcons
House CompetitionsVisits from Famous AthletesSports Awards Evening

Sixth Form Courses